How much does an office fit out cost in London? As a rough indication, the cost of a Cat B (Category B) fit out ranges from a basic office fit out cost of £35 – £40 per Sq. Ft to a mid-range cost of £45 – £65 per Sq. Ft
However, the full answer to the costs of an office fit out in London depends on various factors. These range from the age and state of the building to the grade of the fit out required. This article is intended as a rough guide to the costs fit outs in London. For a more precise estimate, we would strongly suggest arranging a meeting with a professional a fit out contract team. You can also book a chat with one of our fit out experts.
You can also download our Guide to a Successful Office Fit Out by clicking here.
Office Fit Out Costs in London
The following table gives an indication of the cost ranges for a CAT B Fit out in London.
|Costs per square foot (sq ft)||Basic||Mid||High|
|CAT B Fit Out Cost||£35-40||£45-60||£65+|
Factors That Affect the Fit Out Cost
Office Fit Out Contractors will generally provide estimated costs per Sq. Ft, so it is crucial that you know the dimensions and size of your new space, while the per Sq. Ft cost will depend on a number of factors, including:
- M&E Systems – The state of the mechanical and electrical (M&E) systems servicing the space i.e. heating, ventilation, power supply etc. If the M&E is old or not in working order, it can be a costly exercise to install new systems, so it worth appraising the M&E of any shortlisted space
- Raised Floors – Raised floor allows for optimum power supply and distribution management, allowing all cabling to remain hidden underneath. If the space doesn’t have a raised floor either more innovative solutions are required. Alternatively, a raised floor needs to be fitted. Both scenarios incur additional costs.
- The Age of the Building – How old is the building and/or is it a listed building? There can tend to be complications with older buildings as normal wear and tear can take its toll. If the space is within a listed building, there can be an increased level of paperwork required before any fit out can begin, which incurs costs.
- The Specification – Ultimately, office fit out costs are heavily influenced by the specification required by the company moving into the new space, whether they desire high spec finishes, fixtures and furniture
Basic Office Fit Out Costs
We tend to answer the question ‘How much does an office fit out cost?’ by stating that a basic or standard office fit out costs from £35-£40 per Sq. Ft, with office furniture, costs working out at £500-600 per person.
To put that into context, if a company with 20 staff is moving to a 2,000 Sq Ft space in a modern, new building that has been fitted out to a Cat A finish, and requires just a minor fit out, the baseline cost would be between £80-100k for fit out, and £10-20k for furniture, totalling between £90k – 120k. This option is really designed for companies on a tight budget. It focuses primarily on ensuring that the space is a comfortable work environment.
Mid Level Office Fit Out Costs
Office fit out costs rise as the spec level and size increase. For what we would term a good quality office fit out, where durable, ergonomic furniture is selected, the fit out costs would increase to between £45-£65 per Sq. Ft with office furniture costs coming in at £800-£900 per person approx.
This budget would allow the company to create a really beautiful work environment with some additional features and innovations that can really have a major positive impact – check out our Office Design Matters eBook to find out how. It also allows for a greater level of structural changes, and improvements to existing services such as lighting, cabling, flooring and AV.
High Spec Office Fit Out Costs
If your organisation plans to make a real statement and create a truly amazing workplace, the office fit out costs don’t really tend to have a ceiling, but generally would start at £70 per Sq. Ft upwards.
It is worth noting that the most expensive fit outs on record go right up to £500 per Sq. Ft – read this article about the most expensive office fit out on record in London, a whopping £500 per Sq. Ft. Now, to put that in context, the space did have a marble staircase, gold toilets and a dedicated restaurant.
A high spec office fit out generally means that the space is completely revamped and that all feasible improvements are made and that top quality, even bespoke furniture and joinery is included within the design.
In summary, you can spend as much or as little as you like when it comes to office fit out costs, but our recommendation as a fit out contractor would be to define exactly what you want your new workplace to deliver, and to then set budgets accordingly – our guide to a successful office move, may prove useful.
- Standard/Basic Office Fit Out Costs: £35 – £40 per Sq. Ft
- Mid-Range Office Fit Out Costs: £45 – £65 per Sq. Ft
- High Spec Office Fit Out Costs: £70+ per Sq. Ft
*The estimates provided are based upon our experience and should act as a guide. If you want more accurate cost estimates we suggest arranging a quick call with one of our office fit experts by clicking get in touch.